Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Epic Irony: Sun Cellular takes over Smart Communications



It was December 2012 when Smart Communications started firing hundreds of their loyal employees disguised as early retirement to pave the way for an ironic hostile "Sun Cellular" take over. Who would have guessed that people from Sun Cellular would eventually take over Smart? And everyone thought Smart bought Sun Cellular.

And this is sad for me because I am one of the Smart employees who availed the so-called retirement package because I can't bear the thought that I would be reporting to my Sun Cellular counterpart.

I used to be proud of being part of the Smart organization especially when it was announced that Smart would be taking over Sun Cellular. We just killed one of the competitions by buying it out. And when we changed the Smart Communications logo under the "Live More" brand positioning, I said to myself that this is the beginning of a new great era in the Telco industry and I am part of it.

But I was wrong.

I feared for my job. I got scared of losing  the only source of my family's livelihood. Will I be next? I held on for as long as I can. My dad told me to always prepare for the worst. I did. But I still gave my best. I was able to stretch it until November last year (yes, 11 months after the first wave of cutting manpower, it's still happening till today, sad. :( )

When Charles Lim of Sun Cellular took over from Noel Lorrenzana as big boss of the wireless business of Smart, it was time that I realized the hopelessness of the situation for true blue Smart employees. Little by little, Sun Cellular executives took over key positions in Smart from marketing to customer care. And oh, Charles Lim also put his "babe" to be in charge of the broadband business of Smart.

And again, everyone thought that Smart bought Sun Cellular. Anyare?

Until now, no one is safe from Smart. Anytime, an offer sheet would come to anyone. Unless of course, your name is Mitch.

As for me, I want justice for my hundreds of colleagues who lost their source of livelihood after giving their life in the service of what was once a great organization. Good thing I managed to still interact with Smart as one of their contractors! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment